Sitka Locator Map(Southeast Alaska) Sitka is located on the west side of Baranof Island, 4-1/2 hours by fast ferry from Juneau, 2 hours flying time from Seattle, WA.


Visitor information: Sitka Convention and Visitors Bureauat Box 1226-MP, Sitka, AK 99835; phone 1-800-557-4852; ( email).

Services in Sitka’s downtown area include restaurants, a laundromat, drugstore, clothing and grocery stores, and gift shops. Hotel/motel and bed-and-breakfast accommodations are available in Sitka at Alaska Ocean View Bed & Breakfast( email). There are 2 RV parks in the Sitka area. The U.S. Forest Service operates 2 campgrounds: the large Starrigavan Recreation Areaon Starrigavan Bay, which has camping and picnicking; and a smaller, more primitive campground at Sawmill Creek.

Sitka Map


  • Take a walking tour of Sitka’s historic landmarks: St. Michael’s Cathedral (1844); Building 29 (Tilson Bldg.), built in 1835; and the Alaska Native Brotherhood (ANB) Hall, built in 1914.
  • Visit Castle Hill (Baranof Castle Hill State Historic Site), where Alaska changed hands from Russia to the United States on Oct. 18, 1867.
  • The Sitka Pioneers’ Home at Lincoln and Katlian streets was built in 1934 on the old Russian Parade Ground. Totem Square, across from the Pioneers’ Home, contains a Russian cannon and 3 anchors recovered from the Sitka vicinity.
  • Sitka Lutheran Church contains artifacts from the original 1843 Finnish Lutheran Church.  
  • Sitka Summer Music Festival, an annual event featuring the best in chamber music, takes place in June; visit website for details.
  • Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Tribal Community House is a modern rendition of a northwest coast tribal clan house. Native culture exhibits and Tlingit dance performances.
  • Sheldon Jackson Museumcontains some of the finest Native arts and crafts found in Alaska, many collected between 1888 and 1900.
  • Sitka National Historical Park has a free self-guiding trail past the park’s totem pole collection to the Fort Site. The park’s Visitor Center houses an exhibit of Tlingit and Russian artifacts.
  • Visit the Russian Bishop’s House, built by the Russian–American Co. in 1843 for the first Russian Orthodox bishop to reside in Alaska.
  • Visit the Alaska Raptor Center. This unique facility treats injured eagles, hawks, owls and other birds. Programs are presented for tour groups and visitors may tour the outdoor pens on their own.