Located on the Kenai Peninsula, Anchor Point is 23 miles north of Homer and 61 miles south of Soldotna on the Sterling Highway.
Anchor Point is a full-service community with a Chamber of Commerce, post office and a variety of businesses. Lodging, dining, gas stations, fishing charters, seafood processors, RV parks, laundries and gift shops can be found along the highway and area roads. Churches, a library, senior citizen center and VFW are among the many organizations here.
Anchor Point was originally named “Laida” by Captain James Cook in the summer of 1778, when the Resolution and Discovery sailed into Cook Inlet looking for the Northwest Passage. It was later renamed Anchor Point by early homesteaders to commemorate the loss of an anchor off the point by Captain Cook. A post office was established here in 1949.