Located on the Kenai Peninsula, Anchor Point is 23 miles north of Homer and 61 miles south of Soldotna on the Sterling Highway.
Anchor Point is a full-service community with a Chamber of Commerce, post office and a variety of businesses. Lodging, dining, gas stations, fishing charters, seafood processors, RV parks, laundriesand gift shopscan be found along the highway and area roads. Churches, a library, senior citizen center and VFW are among the many organizations here.
Anchor Point was originally named “Laida” by Captain James Cook in the summer of 1778, when the Resolution and Discovery sailed into Cook Inlet looking for the Northwest Passage. It was later renamed Anchor Point by early homesteaders to commemorate the loss of an anchor off the point by Captain Cook. A post office was established here in 1949.
- Camping and fishing along the Anchor River. Fish for king salmon, Dolly Varden, silver salmon and steelhead.
- Saltwater fishing in Cook Inlet for all 5 species of salmon, halibut and rockfish.
- Beachcombing and wildlife watching at end of Anchor River (Beach) Road. Photograph the sign marking the most westerly point on the North American continent accessible by continuous road system and watch tractors launch and land fishing boats.
- Visit the nearby Russian village of Nikolaevsk.