Skiers from Alaska Pacific University get in some distance training at Hatcher Pass, which is located in the Talkeetna Mountains, northwest of Palmer.
The newest video from our sister publication The MILEPOST <http://www.themilepost.com/> features the construction of the "ALCAN" Highway. Work on the pioneer road officially began on March 9, 1942. As you can imagine, working conditions were extreme: "Working 7 days a week, they endured mosquitoes and black flies in summer and below zero temperatures in winter. And the farther away from base camp you were, the harder the living conditions."
- Written by Alaska Magazine
By Allison Hovanec
After getting hitched at the Anchorage courthouse this summer, my husband and I pondered an out-of-state honeymoon. It was early August and the weather had turned favorable again, offering a respite from dreary rain that had stretched on for weeks.
- A map of the real Alaska
- Winter Hiking
- I’ve never gone hiking in Alaska! What should I bring?
- Alaska pink salmon fishing features quantity, quality across Last Frontier
- My Alaska First - Sockeye Salmon Run
- Featured Table of Contents
- Forget Me Knot
- Grand Prize Winner of Alaska Magazine's Fishing Contest Announced