Chitina is located at Milepost 33 on the Edgerton Highway, 120 miles northeast of Valdez, and 66 miles southeast of Glennallen.
Chitina Ranger Station, staffed by Chamber of Commerce volunteers in summer; phone (907) 823-2205. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park visitor center at Milepost V 106.5 Richardson Highway; phone (907) 822-5234.
Chitina (pronounced CHIT-na) was established in 1910. Chitina was located at the northern terminus of the Copper River & Northwestern Railway and acted as a railroad and mining supply town for the Kennecott Copper Mines at McCarthy. Today, it is the gateway to the McCarthy Road and Wrangell–St. Elias National Park. Motorists stop in Chitina for food, gas and lodging on their way to the Kennicott/McCarthy area. Dining and lodging at the historic (1914) Gilpatrick’s Hotel Chitina. Groceries at Wrangell View Store. Camping at Wrangell View RV Park.